Wednesday, April 8, 2009

Has anyone seen the scissors?!

 My 8 year old son has been invited to yet another birthday party.  And I find myself in the seemingly perpetual hassle of trying to locate the scissors and tape to wrap the gift.  This made me stop to ponder a bit on all of the things that my kids (ok, let's be honest, my husband loses a lot of stuff, too) lose (but, of course, they deny it!).  I pride myself on being somewhat organized.  Honestly, you may not get that on your first glance through my home, but I really do know where things are supposed to go! I try and try to put things away, but I get no cooperation from my husband, twin teenage daughters, and two young sons.  One of my biggest pet peeves is losing track of something, so I am careful about putting objects away so that I may find them again when needed.  It has been ages and ages since I have misplaced my keys, cell phone, purse, or any other necessary item (except maybe my sanity is lost from time to time! Oh and that one time I lost my underwear in college, but that's a whole other post. And they weren't really lost.  I threw them at someone. But it was a dare.).  However, I seem to always be the one who bears the brunt of locating things that my family members have lost.  For awhile I tried to hide spare rolls of tape and pairs of scissors around the house.  Problem is, I would forget those hiding places before one of my darling kiddos would discover them.  
  Scissors and scotch tape are probably commonly lost things in many homes, right? Please make me feel better by nodding your head.  But how many of you have to deal with missing spoons?  (That was the boys digging for worms in the backyard.)  Or missing forks?  (Found under both teenage daughters beds.  Don't worry.  They used paper plates.)  Now here's a real stumper....missing screwdrivers.  I swear we must be missing about 17 of them by now.  And those never seem to turn up during my I'm-going-to-find-everything-even-if-I-have-to-turn-this-house-upside-down missions.  I mean, statistically I should be able to find one screwdriver every now and then, right?  If I knew very much about math, I could figure out the probability...but I probably have a better chance of winning the lottery than of finding a screwdriver in my home.  
  I would love to hear from you about the usual and unusual things that you seem to be constantly searching for at home.  

No comments:

Post a Comment